- Population: 126.4 million
- More than three quarters of the population live in sprawling cities on the coastal fringes of Japan’s four mountainous, heavily-wooded islands.
- Life expectancy: 81 years (men), 87 years (women)
- The Japanese have one of the highest life expediencies.
- Okinawa, often called ‘the land of immortals’, has been a global centre for longevity research, as these southern Japanese islands have more than 400 centenarians.
- Language: Japanese
- Major religions: Shintoism, Buddhism
- Currency: Japanese Yen (JPY)
- Area: 377,864 sq km (145,894 sq miles)
- There are 6,852 islands in the Japanese archipelago
- Only 430 of the islands are inhabited.
- 97% live on just 4 islands: Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu and Hokkaido
- 80% (104 million) live on Honshu
- Home to country’s major cities and cultural sites
- Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, Nagoya, Mount Fuji are located on Honshu
- Close to half of the Japanese population is packed into just 17% of the land area!
- Meaning there are many open and natural areas outside the cities.
- Japan has the world’s third-largest economy.
- Canadians do not require tourist visa for stays up to a maximum of 90 days
- Overstaying the 90-day tourist visa-free limit or any other visa time limit is a criminal offence.
- Drive on the left side
- Drivers using phones while driving could face steeper fines and six-month jail terms.
- Ferry connections between Japan, South Korea, and Russia – no containers to worry about
- Ferry between Busan, South Korea and Fukuoka, island of Kyushu, Japan
- Vladivostok, Russia via South Korea
- When you ship your car by container to Japan, a Carnet de Passage may be required
- If you enter by ferry with your vehicle (from South Korea and Russia), there is a special exception that will allow temporary import without a carnet (Customs Form C 5014).
- Shipping by freight (sea or air), you will most likely require a Carnet.
- When ferrying from Japan or South Korea to Russia, use DBS Ferry
- Vehicles registered in Germany, Slovenia, Monaco, and Switzerland are not permitted in Japan (Rouletout)
- #2 Overall ranking in the World’s Best Countries (US News & World Report, 2019)