- Population: 126.4 million
- More than three quarters of the population live in sprawling cities on the coastal fringes of Japan’s four mountainous, heavily-wooded islands.
- Life expectancy: 81 years (men), 87 years (women)
- The Japanese have one of the highest life expediencies.
- Okinawa, often called ‘the land of immortals’, has been a global centre for longevity research, as these southern Japanese islands have more than 400 centenarians.
- Language: Japanese
- Major religions: Shintoism, Buddhism
- Currency: Japanese Yen (JPY)
- Area: 377,864 sq km (145,894 sq miles)
- Japan has the world’s third-largest economy.
- Drivers using phones while driving could face steeper fines and six-month jail terms.
News about Japan