- Officially » The Republic of Namibia
- Capital » Windhoek
- Population » 2.5 million
- Languages » Thirteen languages have been recognized in Namibia as national languages
- English, Afrikaans, German, Oshivambo, Herero, Nama
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 61 years (men), 67 years (women)
- Currency » Namibian dollar
- Area » 824,292 sq km (318,261 sq miles)
- Border by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, Zambia and Angola to the north, Botswana to the east, and South Africa to the south and east.
- Namibia has the world’s largest sand dunes, including 1,066-foot-high Big Daddy.
- Messum Crater
- Thought to be the oldest desert in the world
- Climb Dune 45
- Sesriem Canyon
- See » Horizons Unlimited POI guide
- Drive » Left side
- Namibia’s primary routes (A and B roads) are tarred, and secondary routes (roads designated C or MR) are well-graded gravel. Many D roads are just about passable with a sedan, while F (farm) roads usually are not. An all-terrain vehicle is not necessary to reach the major tourist destinations except Kaokoland. (Source: Wikivoyage)
- Expect to pay a Cross Border Charges (CBC) (or Entry Fee) at the border.
- All foreign-registered vehicles entering Namibia should pay a CBC or entry fee and obtain the corresponding permit (and tax invoice) at the RFA office at Namibia’s border posts.
- The Road Fund Administration (RFA) was established on the 1st April 2000 by the Road Fund Administration Act (Act 18 of 1999), with the primary aim of managing the road user charging system, to secure and allocate sufficient funding for a safe and efficient road sector in Namibia.
- Namibia has some of the worst road accident statistics in the world. Head-on collisions are not unusual.
- See » Off-Roading in Namibia
Vehicle Shipping Ports
- Walvis Bay (OSM) receives RORO and container shipping
Overland Border Ports
- Oshikango (Santa Clara), ☏ , fax:
- Ruacana, ☏ , fax:
- South Africa
- Araimsvlei (Naroegas), ☏ , fax: . Connecting the B3 and N14 between Karasburg and Upington
- Verloorsdrift (Onseepkaans), ☏ . Connecting the C10 and R358 between Karasburg and Pofadder
- Noordoewer (Vioolsdrift), ☏ , fax: . Connecting the B1 and N7 between Keetmanshoop and Springbok
- Oranjemund (Alexander Bay), ☏ , fax:
- Wenela (Sesheke), ☏ , fax: .
- Trupen Garden Accommodation & Camping (Recommended by A2A)
- Namibia holds people liable to a fine of N$500 or imprisonment for entering Game Parks with a plastic bag
Last Updated on August 12, 2022