- Officially » The Republic of Mauritius
- Capital » Port Louis
- Population » 1.3 million
- Languages » English (official), Creole, French, Indian languages
- Religions » Hinduism, Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy » 71 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency » Mauritian rupee
- Area » 2,040 sq km (788 sq miles)
- Mauritius is an Indian Ocean island nation about 2,000 kilometres (1,200 mi) off the southeast coast of the African continent, east of Madagascar.
- Mauritius is known for its beaches, lagoons and reefs.
- The mountainous interior includes Black River Gorges National Park, with rainforests, waterfalls, hiking trails and wildlife like the flying fox.
- Capital Port Louis has sites such as the Champs de Mars horse track, Eureka plantation house and 18th-century Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens.
- Not easily accessible by 4WD.
This page was last updated on 2021.05.20 by Robert Vinet