- Officially » Repoblikan’i Madagasikara (Malagasy)
- République de Madagascar (French)
- Republic of Madagascar (English)
- Capital (and largest city) » Antananarivo
- Population » 25 million
- Languages » Malagasy (official), French
- Religions » Indigenous beliefs, Christianity
- Life expectancy » 64 years (men), 67 years (women)
- Currency » Ariary
- Area » 587,041 sq km (226,658 sq miles)
- Large island nation in the Indian Ocean
- A passenger ferry service runs between Toamasina and Mauritius, via La Réunion, on a bi-monthly basis. (Source » Island Travour, May 2021)
- However, Rough Guides suggests there is no passenger service to the island nation (May 2021)
- Cargo shipping is also possible
- If do drive to Madagascar, Road Trip Africa has suggested routes and itineraries.
- There exists a cargo/passenger ferry to La Réunion from Madagascar. (Mauritius Shipping Corp.)
- Tamatave is the main port in the country
- Other ports are located at Diego Suarez, Morondava, Majunga, Fort Dauphin and Tuléar
- Cruise ships from Europe and North America use the ports at Diego Suarez, Tamatave and Nosy Be.
- Madagascar is rich in plant and wildlife.
- The island is one of the poorest countries in the world
Security and Safety
- Political tension and civil unrest have been ongoing in Madagascar since 2009.
Government Travel Advice
This page was last updated on 2021.05.05 by Robert Vinet