The Seven Summits has become part of the adventure lexicon, shorthand for the highest mountain on each continent.
The most commonly accepted list is:
- Mount Everest, Asia, 8,849m
- Aconcagua, South America, 6,961m
- Denali, North America, 6,194m
- Kilimanjaro, Africa, 5,895m
- Mount Elbrus, Europe, 5,642m
- Mount Vinson, Antarctica, 4,892m
- Puncak Jaya/Carstensz Pyramid, Oceania, 4,884m
Mountaineers have sought to climb the highest peak on each continent since at least 1956 when American William Hackett completed five of the seven. However, he climbed Mont Blanc rather than Mount Elbrus and Mount Kosciuszko rather than Puncak Jaya, as these were considered the highest peaks in Europe and Oceania respectively at the time.
Follow along as Dan Grec of The Road Chose Me explore Malawi and Tanzania by Jeep.
The film was shot over 7 days climbing to the summit of Africa’s tallest mountain and the tallest freestanding mountain in the world. Walk from the rich forests brimming with vegetation and wildlife to the arid and lifeless arctic zone at 19,000 feet above sea level.