4 (or more) Wheels
- A2A Expedition – The Bells, a family of four overlanding the world with their Land Rover Defender camper.
- Alaskawilds – Günter and Sissi travelling in Mexico, Central America and South America in an XP Camper.
- Bodes Well – A family of 3 left California in August of 2009 with the idea of traveling for a year. More than 8 years and 23 countries later, they are still on the road.
- Dare2Go – Yasha + Juergen – after 4 years in South-America, they are now in Europe.
- Desk to Glory – Richard and Ashley set out on the Pan-American Highway from Vancouver.
- Heidi Hetzer – In 2014, at the age of 76, Hetzer started the ultimate road trip, a world tour in her 1930’s Hudson Greater Eight, which she called Hudo. She returned home to Germany in 2017. Hetzer died two years later, in April 2019, at the age of 81.
- Ilka & Günther Weingaertner– on the road since 2013.
- Joe and Josée’s Journey
- Liliana and Emil Schmid – They have been overlanding in their 1982 Toyota LandCruiser FJ60 since 1984. They hold several Guinness Book of World Records, and they are still going. (Photos above)
- Landcruising Adventure – Karin-Marijke Vis & Coen Wubbels, two Dutch wanderers, have been on the road in their 1984 Land Cruiser BJ45 since 2003. Practical, real world advice on long-term slow travel on a small budget. For them it’s less about how many countries they can check off their bucket list. I return to their site quite often. Karin-Marijke also writes the Notes On Slow Travel blog.
- Manon Ossevoort – She drove from the Netherlands, through Africa, all the way to the South Pole, on a tractor.
- Otto’s Journey – Gunther Holtorf, his partner Christine, and their Mercedes 300 GD they named Otto, travelled for 26-years across 215 countries.
- Overland Diaries
- Overland the Americas
- Pablo Rey and Anna Callau – In 2000 they left Barcelona in the hopes of going around the world in a 4×4 van in 4 years. 18 years and they are still on the road. Love it!
- The Road Chose Me – Dan Grec, an Aussi living in Canada, author of a couple of books on overlanding, has driven around Africa and the length of the Pan-American Highway. More to come.
- Rouletout – Berna Fuchslueger and Ulf Fuchslueger and their dog Mutlu overlanding the world in a Mercedes Atego 1225.
- Swiss Nomads – Reni and Marcel have been on the road since 2007
- This Must Be The Place – Olaf, Mirla travelling slowly from Canada to Patagonia in a bus they call Balthasar.. On the road since July 2015.
- Trans-Americas Journey – Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl on the road since 2006 » November 8, 2020 marked the 5000th day — or 13 years, 6 months, and 8 days!
- The Traveling Together Journal – Matt and Amie travelling mostly Central America // YouTube
- Tread the Globe – Marianne and Chris, a UK couple, quit our jobs and sold our belongings to travel full time. They hope to visit as many countries as they can in their motorhome and otherwise // YouTube
- Tucks Travels in a Truck – Marcus and Julie Tuck – Lots of good information from personal experiences.
- The Turtle Expedition – Gary and Monica Wescott’s overland adventures. These may have been the people that first introduced me to overlanding. They have been overlanding since 1972.
- VW Vagabonds
- Van Travellers – Lidia & Javi have been on their world trip since 2014 in a VW T4
- Wild Journey – A woman exploring the world in a Land Cruiser.
- 2RideTheWorld – Lisa and Simon Thomas have been on the road since 2003.
- Sam Manicom – M/C Traveller. Writer. Presenter. 200,000 miles across 6 continents while riding around the world over 8 years. Author of four adventure books.
If you know of other inspirational overlanders, please do let me know.
This page was last updated on 2021.03.12 by Robert Vinet