- Capital: Ashgabat
- Population: 5.5 million
- Major language: Turkmen, Russian
- Major religion: Islam
- Life expectancy: 64 years (men), 71 years (women)
- Currency: Turkmen manat
- Area: 488,100 sq km (188,456 sq miles)
- In Central Asia bordered by the Caspian Sea and largely covered by the Karakum Desert.
- Oil rich
- Pricy hotels – targeted towards business people
- Canadians require a visa to visit Turkmenistan.
- You will require a letter of invitation.
- Reportedly, they only give 3 or 5-day transit visas for $55, which must be applied for in advance.
- Unless you’re on a transit visa, you need a guide outside the capital
- Ashgabat, the capital, was rebuilt in Soviet style in the mid-20th century and is filled with grand monuments honouring former president Saparmurat Niyazov.
- Known for archaeological ruins including those at Nisa and Merv
See & Do
- Gateway to Hell (Google Maps)
Safety & Security
- Normal safety precautions for Turkmenistan