- Population: 11.5 million
- Major languages: Arabic (official), French
Major religion: Islam
Life expectancy: 74 years (men), 78 years (women)
Currency: Tunisian Dinar (TND)
- Area: 164,150 sq km (63,378 sq miles)
- Tunisia is a North African country bordering the Mediterranean Sea and Sahara Desert.
- Tunisia has banned plastic bags
- Canadians do not require a visa to visit Tunisia for fewer than 90 days.
- In the capital, Tunis, the Bardo Museum has archaeological exhibits from Roman mosaics to Islamic art.
- The city’s medina quarter encompasses the massive Al-Zaytuna Mosque and a thriving souk.
- To the east, the site of ancient Carthage features the Antonine Baths and other ruins, plus artifacts at the Carthage National Museum.
Safety & Security
- Some areas of Tunisia have a very high threat level of terrorist attack.
- Governments advise to exercise a high degree of caution in Tunisia due to the high threat of terrorist attack. Higher levels apply in some parts of the country.