Officially: The Syrian Arab Republic
- Population 21.1 million
- Major languages: Arabic, Kurdish, Armenian, English, French
- Major religion: Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 74 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency: Syrian pound (SYP)
- 1 Syrian pound (SYP) = 100 piastres
- Electricity: Nearly 220 volts / 50 Hertz AC,
- Area 185,180 sq km (71,498 sq miles)
- A country of fertile plains, high mountains, and deserts
- A Middle Eastern country in Western Asia, bordering Lebanon and the Mediterranean Sea to the west, Turkey to the north, Iraq to the east, Jordan to the south, and Israel to the southwest.
- Most governments advise against all travel to Syria (2019) due to security concerns.
- Since 2011 Syria has been in a bitter civil conflict initially sparked by the Arab Spring. It has grown into a complex war involving regional and international powers.
- At least 500,000 people have been killed in the war and more than half Syria’s pre-war population have fled their homes.
- Syria is the number 1 origin for refugees in the world today, accounting for about 6.3 million refugees.
Safety and Security
- Syria is considered to be one of the worlds most dangerous destinations for travellers. (2019)
- The security situation in Syria is extremely dangerous. All government recommendations are not to travel to Syria due to terrorism and civil war.