Flag of Ecuador // Bandera del Ecuador
- Officially » República del Ecuador
- Republic of Ecuador (English)
- Capital » Quito
- Largest City » Guayaquil
- Population » 16.5 million
- Major languages » Spanish, indigenous languages
- Religion » Christianity
- Life expectancy » 73 years (men), 79 years (women)
- Currency » US dollar
- Emergency numbers
- General Emergencies » 911
- Ambulance »131
- Fire » 102
- Police » 101
- Area » 272,045 sq km (105,037 sq miles)
- The Galapagos Islands, an archipelago of volcanic origin, are situated 926 km (575 mi) west of continental Ecuador
- The Galapagos Islands are a province of Ecuador.
- Bordered by the Pacific Ocean in west, Colombia to the north, and Peru to the south and east.
Map of Ecuador (Source » France, June 2021)
- Visa is not required for Canadians for stays up to 90 days in a 12 month period.
- The Galapagos Islands (Fodor’s)
- Public Holidays in Ecuador (Google)
- Known as Ecuador’s “adventure capital,” Baños de Agua Santa is situated about 3 hours south of Quito, in a valley among 4 volcanoes – most notably the Tungurahua, just south of town. (South American Backpacker)
- Malaria risk exists throughout the year below 1,500m (4,920ft)
- A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required from travellers over one year of age coming from infected areas.
- Vaccination against yellow fever is recommended if travelling to the east of the Andes.
- Ecuador does not quarantine healthy cats or dogs that have been vaccinated for rabies at least 30 days in advance of entry into the country.
Government Travel Advice