- Officially: Kingdom of Norway
- Capital: Oslo
- Population: 5.3 million
- Language: Norwegian
- Religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 79 years (men), 83 years (women)
- Currency: Norwegian krone
- Not a member of the European Union
- Emergency Numbers:
- Police 112
Fire Brigade 110
Ambulance Service 113
Any accident involving any animal must be reported by dialling 175
- Police 112
- Area: 323,759 sq km (125,004 sq miles)
- Europe’s northernmost country
- Famed for its mountains, spectacular fjord coastline, and some 50,000 islands
- Bordered by:
- Norway is the world’s most generous foreign aid contributor, giving over one per cent of its gross domestic product to help developing countries.
- Norway is rich in natural resources of gas, petroleum, and minerals, and boasts one of the highest per capita incomes in the world.
- Norway enjoys one of the world’s highest standards of living
- It is the world’s number seven oil exporter
- Norway started the implementation of the Schengen area agreement on 25 March 2001.
- Visitors go for its stunning fjords and its Viking heritage.
- It is known as the land of the midnight sun because certain areas of the country get 24 hours of sunlight for part of the summer.
- Sharing a border with Sweden, Finland, and Russia
- Hwy 13 is very scenic
- North Cape (Google Maps) is the most northernmost point reachable by car in Europe
- The lowest navigable road in Europe is the Eiksund Tunnel, Norway (Google Maps) (287 metres – 942 ft below sea level)
Norwegian Transport Authority
- #9 overall ranking in World’s Best Countries (US News & World Report, 2019)
Safety & Security
- Norway is ranked as the 2nd safest place to visit.
- Norway is a member of NATO
- Ex-premier Jens Stoltenberg is Nato’s secretary general.