- Population: 35 million
- Major languages: Arabic and Berber (official), French, Spanish
- Major religion: Islam
- Life expectancy: 74 years (men), 77 years (women)
- Currency: Moroccan Dirham (MAD)
- 1 Dirham (MAD) = 100 Centimes
- Electricity: 220 Volt / 50 Hertz AC
- Area: 710,850 sq km (274,461 sq miles) (including W Sahara)
- Morocco is the most popular tourist destination in Africa.
- Morocco is investing in its port, transportation, and industrial infrastructure to position itself as a centre for business throughout Africa.
- Many Europeans winter in Morocco.
- 3 month visas can be extended once, for a maximum of a 6 month stay.
- Morocco has banned plastic bags
- Tourism is one of the key sectors of the Moroccan economy.
- Tourism accounts for about 10 percent of the Moroccan economy and is the kingdom’s second-largest employer, after agriculture.
- It’s also the main source of foreign currency.
- On ferry crossing from Spain to Tanger Med port
- There is always a Moroccan Immigration officer onboard. Immigration clearance is done on the boat. Customs is done in Morocco.
- Morocco is considered generally safer than other North African countries, however there are times of unrest.
- There is a much terrorism along southern border with Western Sahara and this region should be considered very dangerous.
- Hustlers can be a problem throughout Morocco, especially in Tangier.
- There are often reports of corruption, thefts, and break-ins.
- Tourists are often obliged to pay an “anti-terrorist” tax of €90, although it is not known if this is an official charge.
- Homosexuality remains criminalized and is punishable with a prison term in both Morocco and Western Sahara.
Up-To-Date Travel Advisories
- Horizons Unlimited – Morocco
News about Morocco