- Officially: Republic of Belarus
- Capital: Minsk
- Population: 9.5 million
- Less than 15 yo: 16.6%
- More than 65 yo: 14.7%
- Over 70% of the population resides in urban areas.
- Major languages: Russian, Belarusian (both official)
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 69 years (men), 79 years (women)
- Currency: Belarussian rouble
- Area: 207,595 sq km (80,153 sq miles)
- Belarus is an Eastern European landlocked nation.
- It is bordered by Russia to the northeast, Ukraine to the south, Poland to the west, and Lithuania and Latvia to the northwest.
- Belarus and Russia have been close trading partners and diplomatic allies since the breakup of the Soviet Union.
- Belarus is dependent on Russia for imports of raw materials and for its export market.
- More than 40% of the land area of Belarus is covered by forests.
- The judicial system in Belarus lacks independence and is subject to political interference.
- Only local residents are allowed to travel by land from Russia to Belarus.
- NOTE: When travelling from Belarus to Russia, there may be no proper border check. It has been reported that it is illegal to cross into one country from the other without going through a proper border control if you are not a Russian or Belarussian citizen. As of December 2018, there are rumours that Russia wants to open an international border crossing at the Minsk-Moscow highway in time for the European Games in June 21 to June 30, 2019.
This page was last updated on Monday, August 10th, 2020 by Robert Vinet