- Officially: Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka
- Capital: Colombo
- Population 21.2 million
- Major languages: Sinhala, Tamil, English
- Major religions: Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity
- Life expectancy: 72 years (men), 78 years (women)
- Currency: Sri Lankan rupee
- Area: 65,610 sq km (25,332 sq miles)
- A tropical island off the southern tip of India in the Indian Ocean
- Sri Lanka gained independence in 1948, after nearly 150 years of British rule.
- There is currently no ferry service to Sri Lanka. (April 2019)
Safety & Security
- Tensions are high within the country. On the morning of 21 April 2019 (Easter), at least 8 coordinated bombing attacks struck multiple hotels and churches in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa. More than 250 people were killed and 450 others wounded.
This page was last updated on 2021.03.18 by Robert Vinet