- Officially »
- Монгол Улс (Mongolian)
- Capital » Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator)
- Population: 2.8 million (2012)
- Major language: Mongolian
- Major religion: Buddhism
- Life expectancy: 65 years (men), 73 years (women)
- Currency: Togrog
- Area: 1.56 million sq km (603,909 sq miles)
- Mongolia does not share a border with Kazakhstan, although only 37 kilometres (23 mi) separates them
- A tourist visa is not required for Canadians staying up to 30 days.
- US passport holders can stay up to 90 days.
- Visitors staying for more than 30 days in Mongolia must register with the Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens within one week upon arrival.
- If driving from Russia, visitors who require a visa can apply for a one-month tourist visa in Ulan Ude, Russia.
- An extension can be arranged in Ulaanbaatar (the capital). Must be applied for within 5 days of arriving in Mongolia.
- Hiking Altai Tavan Bogd national park to Malchin Uul, a sacred mountain (4,050 metres), “the baby of the five; the only one that can be climbed without specialist equipment” (The Guardian 2021.03.05)
- Drive » Right side
- Extremes of distance and temperature mean there isn’t much infrastructure.
- Summers are short in Mongolia, ending in late August.
- Don’t leave the trip to Mongolia too late (October perhaps?). All the tracks completely disappear in the snow. (Source: Eurasia Overland)
- Winters plunger into the -30℃’s
- Culture is grounded in nomadic traditions
- Described as a pragmatic land of mutton and more mutton.
Mongolia’s World Rankings 2018
- Freedom of the press: 58th
- Reliability of police services: 82nd
- Innovation capability: 99th
- life expectancy: 104th
- Roads quality: 110th
- Quality of vocational training: 110th
- Judicial independence: 113th
- Property rights: 120th
This page was last updated on 2021.03.29 by Robert Vinet