- Officially: » འབྲུག་རྒྱལ་ཁབ་ (Dzongkha)
- Druk Gyal Khap
- Kingdom of Bhutan
- Capital » Thimphu
- Also the largest city in the country
- Population » 750,000
- The second least populated country in South Asia right after the Maldives.
- Language » Dzongkha
- Religions » Buddhism (official), Hinduism
- Life expectancy » 66 years (men), 70 years (women)
- Currency » ngultrum
- Known as “nu”
- 1 nu = 1 Indian Rupee
- Indian rupees are generally accepted in Bhutan, in denomination smaller than 500 Rs.
- Area » 38,364 sq km (14,812 sq miles)
- Landlocked country bordered by China and India
- Currently, Bhutan has a disputed boundary with China
- Bhutan was never colonised
- Bhutan charges foreign nationals (with the exception of Indian citizens) a $200 to $250 daily fee to visit. The price varies based on the tourist season.
- Unless you’re from India, the Maldives, or Bangladesh, you need to be on a tour or with a guide.
- Canadians must obtain a visa by purchasing a travel package from an authorised travel agent before departure.
- Tourism Council of Bhutan
- Land border crossing
- Gelephu – Not normally used by tourists
Government Travel Advice
This page was last updated on 2021.03.19 by Robert Vinet